UMBC recognizes excellence in teaching and research through the Presidential Teaching & Research Professor Awards. These awards are open only to tenured faculty members with well-established record of teaching and research. We currently do not have a formal means to recognize the accomplishments of junior faculty who are doing outstanding work to advance the mission of our university. UMBC also has a strong group of full-time lecturers, clinical faculty, research faculty, and adjunct faculty whose work is critical to our institutional success but often goes unnoticed. It is important for us to recognize the contributions of these individuals more explicitly.
The College of Natural and Mathematical Sciences is pleased to announce four College-level awards that recognize faculty excellence at all stages in a person’s career and all aspects of the UMBC and College mission:
- Early Career Faculty Excellence Award recognizes excellence and promise in scholarship and teaching by a tenure-track assistant professor and carries a one-time allocation of $2,000 in support of faculty development.
- Mid-Career Faculty Excellence Award recognizes excellence in scholarship, teaching, and service/leadership by a tenured faculty member who is at least 3 years past his/her first promotion to a tenured position. The intent of this award is to recognize the accomplishments of faculty holding the rank of associate professor and anyone within 2 years of having achieved the rank of full professor. This award carries a one-time allocation of $2,000 in support of faculty development.
- Excellence in Teaching Award recognizes excellence in teaching and service/leadership by a full-time non-tenure track instructional faculty and carries a one-time allocation of $2,000 in support of faculty development.
- Adjunct Faculty Award recognizes excellence in teaching by an adjunct faculty member and carries a one-time allocation of $2,000 in support of faculty development.
- Research Faculty Excellence Award recognizes excellence in research, and where appropriate, significant contributions to teaching and service/leadership by a Research Facility. It carries a one-time allocation of $2,000 in support of faculty development. The Office of the Vice President for Research coordinates the nomination process for the Research Faculty Excellence Award. Nominations and details on this award can be found here.
Deadline to nominate candidates: March 15, 2023
Please note that in order for nominators to complete the application the following items will be required:
1. A brief statement (~25 words) of support highlighting the nominee’s attributes. This statement will be used for publicity purposes if the nominee is selected for the award.
2. A concise summary of how the nominee’s credentials demonstrate excellence as it pertains to the selection criteria (<150 words).
3. The CV of the nominee.