Meet Your Pre-Award Team
Your pre-award team is here to help! The CNMS pre-award team assist with: Analyzing Funding Opportunity Announcements (FOAs) and Sponsor Requirements, Creating Budgets, Routing and Review of proposals in Kuali and the Sponsor Systems, Rebudgets for Post Award Activities, No Cost Extensions, and Subaward management.
- Sarah is the Grants and Contracts Specialist that works closely with Biology, Mathematics, and Marine Biotechnology.
- Taylor is the Grants and Contracts Specialist that works closely with Physics, Chemistry, and the CNMS Dean’s office.
Both Sarah and Taylor work together and as each other’s backups should one be out. If you have further questions, comments, concerns or requests please feel free to contact either of them for assistance.
Common How-to-Apply Guides
Several of the most common sponsors have standard guides for how to apply to their various funding opportunities. These guides can be referenced for common questions, however it is important to note that the Specific FOA may deviate.
- NSF PAPPG dated 1-30-2023: PAPPG (NSF 23-1) dated January 30, 2023
- NIH Research Type Guides for updated forms: How to Apply – Application Guide | grants.nih.gov
- NASA Regulations and Guidance: Regulations and Guidance | NASA
Office of Sponsored Programs and Kuali
Kuali is the internal system UMBC uses to track pre-award proposals and post-award proposals. It is imperative that all external funding be routed through Kuali within OSP’s 3 day deadline. Your CNMS Pre-award Grants and Contracts specialist can assist with Kuali and Sponsor routing and review while the Office of Sponsored Programs is here to assist in the final submission. Some proposals will have to go through Kuali and the sponsor’s portal, however some can be submitted directly through Kuali, ask your Grants and Contracts Specialist for assistance.
- OSP website: Office of Sponsored Programs – Research & Creative Achievement at UMBC – UMBC
- OSP Proposal Submission Deadline: OSP Proposal Submission Deadline Procedure Letter 7-25-2019.pdf | Powered By Box
External Funding Opportunities
All external funding opportunities must be routed in Kuali and ready for sponsor submission by OSP’s 3 day deadline. Contact your CNMS Grants and Contracts Specialist for assistance for assistance with routing, budgetary information, and organization of your proposal.
- Search Grants | GRANTS.GOV
- You can find a variety of federal sponsors and proposal types on Grants.gov. Ask your CNMS Grants and Contracts Specialist for assistance with submitting a proposal.
- Funding search | NSF – National Science Foundation
- NSF has a variety of proposals that can be submitted through Research.gov. Ask your CNMS Grants and Contracts Specialist for assistance with submitting a proposal.
- Foundation Directory | Candid (foundationcenter.org)
- For more information about FDO please see this fact sheet: Getting To Know-Foundation Directory Fact Sheet 2020.doc | Powered By Box
- NSPIRES – NASA Research Opportunities Online (nasaprs.com)
- NASA’s NPSIRES system has a range of opportunities in relation to NASA’s specific goals.
Internal Funding Opportunities
Internal Funding opportunities do not have to be routed through Kuali, however they will need an account set up for them in PeopleSoft. Always contact your Business Manager and Grants and Contracts Specialist in CNMS for assistance.